Saturday, October 20, 2012

About Me... Oct. 20, 2012

While on a slow run for exciting blog posts, I've decided to tell you a little bit about myself and the People To People program, so you can have a clearer picture...

Well, my name is Nola (obviously). I'm a teenager living in a totally confusing and exciting world. My mind is as open as the ocean horizon. I love writing things. I am working on a novel (24 pages in so far). Reading is my second favorite thing. I work hard on almost everything I set forth on. I have been blessed with meeting such fantastic and supportive people throughout my life time. Each one of them said "Aim for the stars, cause that's where you're headed". Well... maybe not that exact phrase :) But I believe them. Singing and acting are a gift to me. They are my goals in life. I sing everyday, and practice once a week with my singing teacher, Molly. She has a beautiful voice, and I am honored to be able to learn with her.
Downsides I have? Some... No one is perfect. Perfect doesn't exist. I have experience with bullies (Suck!) and I always try to help my friends make the right choices. They have once felt like nothing, almost self-harmed themselves, felt depressed, and always told me "You don't understand!". But I am with them anyways. I have helped my best friend (IN THE WORLD) through a really tough time with stupid and ignorant people. I truly feel that everyone in the world: Girl, boy, gay, transgender, Asian, black, white, musician, football player, nerd, goths, Christians, Pagans, Muslims, ANYONE. They all deserve happiness. I know this all kind of sounds fake, but it is true. <3 for all

People To People (PTP) is an educational program that brings teens, young adults, and community members through all walks of life and people who live elsewhere, showing us world tolerance. Essentially, they believe that by doing this, world peace can begin. We can start understanding the beliefs of others and really have some logic before we make such horrible decisions based on our small environments.
Showing young people the world in different ways than a classroom can give a better hope for the future. My trip will be going to England, Ireland (North and South), Scotland, and Wales. In Ireland, we will be having a stay-home family, with a few other kids from our group. We get to see what their daily lives are and learn about their ideas. In England we will be touring around London, getting to ride the London Eye, visiting beautiful castles, and we all learn about the history in these awesome places.
Now I can't remember everything planned, but I am excited for this one thing we get to do... we get to climb down a castle wall in either Scotland or Wales. Just to add some fun:)
Some people question this programs safety and care. Well so have we. We attended a meeting on the overall trip in September. Only 1 person has died during their trip, due to health issues (diabetes, I think). Each instructor are trained for the Heimlich maneuver, C.P.R, and trained professionals stand by during any dangerous activities. There is a PTP guide for every ten kids. Each guide has a tracker in their cell phones, just in case they and other students get lost. Every meal, room, and activity is paid for. But we have to pay tuition to go, plus another $500 for an airport fee thing.

Why I made this blog? Well, you all know I need to pay BUNCHES of money for this trip. No it's not for school. No it's not cheap. And no, it won't be easy. But the total $7000 I need is going to be worth it. I made this blog to show you my progress, to fundraise for this amazing trip. I want to learn and expand my education outside of a boring classroom. My mom says that traveling is a great way to learn about anything. First hand is always the best, right?
Thank you for supporting! Please visit my facebook to see pictures, funny little things, post messages to me on my wall, and track my progress their as well while I enjoy a journey over see's.
PS: Donations over paypal are now excepted!
Thanks for all your help:)

No comments:

Post a Comment